Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Year, New Setting, New Attitude

Happy 2013, everyone!

It's a Work-In-Progress, but here's y new writing space!
It’s been a looong time since I last posted, and while I spent quite a bit of time beating myself up over not doing my weekly posts throughout the holiday season, I also spent a lot of time re-evaluating life in general. From personal, to the day job, to the writing life, I took the time to sit back and re-think – at least when I wasn’t signing my life away on our first new home and packing and moving. :)
On Sunday we were settled enough to where the hubs and I began putting our offices back together. We’ve all been there with moving where as long as you have the ‘basics’ unpacked (i.e., bed, couch, TVs, dining room), everything else can be done whenever you get to it. So on Sunday we unpacked about 6 boxes (mostly my writing space stuff), and after I got my new space in working order, I immediately wanted to get to work. It didn’t matter if it was editing, writing, tweeting, whatever. I just felt re-energized and I wanted to do something.
This burst of energy got me thinking about that old saying: change location/setting, change your attitude and inspiration. This saying is incredibly true!
Granted, I entirely changed homes and not just my writing space, but changing your setting doesn’t have to be that big. In fact, changes that inspire your creativity can be so small that it could be difficult for others to notice. Because as long as you and your muse take note, that’s all you need.
Here are some ideas on how to change your setting, which can help inspire your creativity and give you a new attitude/outlook on your writing:
·         Moving your creativity area to another room.
o   Before we moved, I had taken my laptop, monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the dining room table. That minor change did wonders with waking up the muse.

·         Re-Organize your creativity area/desk
o   A simple change such as moving your monitor to the opposite side of the desk.

·         Re-Organize your bookshelf
o   Whether you rearrange your books in alphabetical order by author name, or title, or split them into groups by series, etc., by redoing your bookshelf, you’re awakening that creative spark because you’re remembering how great each and every one of those books were when you’d first read them.

·         Treat yourself to something new
o   Whether buying a new monitor, a new desk, a new mouse/keyboard, or program, something shiny and new will make you want to ensure you use it more often.
These are just a few ideas to get you thinking about what you can do to get that explosive spark of creativity to hit. And there’s no better time than right now. With the start of a New Year, everyone’s mindset is on new beginnings, fresh starts, positive outlooks, and we have the drive to not only succeed, but to make any new resolution or goal stick throughout the year.
Your Turn: What other ideas do you have for how to change your setting/attitude? Have you tried any of these ideas? Did they work? Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions or 2013 Writing Goals that could be helped by changing it up a little with your writing space?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...