Thursday, October 6, 2011

Takin’ a Look Back at Seven Special Posts

Last week, a fabulous fellow blogger/writer, SP Sipal, gave me the “7 X 7 Link Award”!

I was super-excited to receive this and can’t believe that even though I’ve only been at this since May, I’ve got an answer for each one of these categories! :0)

If any of your answers are different from mine, please feel free to comment and let me know! It can be hard to decipher these for yourself since you, as the writer, are not the intended audience for the posts.


Here we go:

MOST SURPRISINGLY SUCCESSFUL: “Whose Line?!? Using Multiple Points of View in Your Writing” I loved writing this one – and not just because I actually watched a few episodes of ‘Whose Line?’ to get me into writing it. There’s nothing I love more than to write a book where there are multiple viewpoints (that are clear and concise) are used to show the entire story as it happens around the many characters. :0)

MOST CONTROVERSIAL: I don’t really think that I’ve had one, but if I had to choose, it’d be “First Sentences”. This was a scary thing for me to post (although it was so much fun to be in Barnes & Noble for three hours doing research) because I was basically taking published author’s books, critiquing their first lines (without knowing anything else about the book other than the name and what the cover looked like) and posting it here for others to read – and more of those comments were fun and not intending to really hurt anyone’s feelings.

MOST BEAUTIFUL: Hmmm….. I don’t really think that I have a post that I’d consider '’most beautiful’, but the first thing that came to mind when I went looking for one was a Song of the Week post: “Butterflies and Hurricanes by Muse”. I love this band and for me, this song is beautiful because it really evokes an emotion out of the listener – be it to take a chance of to get out there and change the world….one book at a time, that is :0)

MOST POPULAR: This is one that’s not even one I’ve written – which is completely awesome. It’s from the Week of the Writer, and it was the post that ended our fun week of celebration: “Top 10 Tips of Writing I Learned from Studying JK Rowling” by SP Sipal. As of today, that post has had 450 page views (it’s original post date was August 26th, 2011). Needless to say, that was an unbelievable post and I’m so thrilled to have hosted it on my blog!

MOST UNDERRATED: “Editing Is Fun….Yes, I’m Serious!!” <—This is a post that I thought would’ve been a little more popular than it was – simply because of the title, maybe? I’m not sure, but this is one of the first posts I’d written about the craft – and it’s one that came from out of nowhere. I was editing one night and BAM! I had a new & shiny article to post on my blog :0)

MOST PRIDE WORTHY: “Finding the Balance” Yeah….this is definitely my most pride worthy because I basically put my struggles out there for everyone to see – along with how I was going to solve the ever-nagging problem of ‘how can we do it all?’. I’ve struggled a little bit – okay, a lot – with the schedule I had set forth for myself, but because I’ve written this article, the balance is always in the back of mind, reminding me that I need to slow down and relax a little. We can’t all be Superman, can we?

MOST HELPFUL: As of today, I think my most helpful post would be “Getting From Point A to Point Z: The Unruly, Untrusting and Hard-Headed Character” because it personally helped me. After I wrote this, the character I’d been struggling with finally pulled a brick from their wall and let me in a little. I’m still getting to know him, and everyday I learn more, but I don’t think I would’ve been able to get this far without having sat down and banged out this article.

Thank you, Susan, for the award and the chance to take a look back over the last few months of my ‘blogging life’. There were smiles, frowns, grins, laughs, and booty dances along the way to figuring out which posts would make the cut for these categories.

Now, in the spirit of paying it forward, I’m going to pass this award along to a few fantastic bloggers:

Merry Farmer
Trish Gentry
Charissa Weeks
J.C. Fiske

Happy Reading & Writing, Everyone!!!

Melinda

2 comments:

Tina Moss said...

You've only been blogging since May? Wow! It feels like I've been reading and chatting with you forever - in a good way. :) I enjoyed so many of these posts from you, and I'm having fun going back and revisiting them. Congrats on the award! :D

Melinda S. Collins said...

Hey Tina! I know, right?!? It feels like it's way longer than that - and definitely in a good way, like you said! :o)

Thank you so much!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...